CalFresh Healthy Living
CalFresh Health Living Nutrition Program
The goal of the CalFresh Healthy Living Program is to prevent chronic diseases and improve food security among persons eligible for CalFresh Food support. The program focuses on implementing nutrition education, policy, systems and environmental (PSE) change strategies to increase access and consumption of healthy food and beverages as well as decrease sedentary behavior.
CalFresh Health Living supports a California where everyone is healthy, active, and nourished. CalFresh Healthy Living empowers under-resourced California families to make informed choices about nutrition and physical activity. CalFresh Healthy Living at the national level is known as SNAP-Ed (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program – Education).
CalFresh Healthy Living empowers SBC residents by:
- Providing nutrition education for adults and children in various settings
- Collaborating with elementary schools and afterschool programs
- Community engagement with community-based organizations, after school centers, etc.
- Promoting the Rethink Your Drink campaign, a healthy beverage initiative which promotes decreasing the consumption of sugary beverages and encourages public to drink more water
- Physical Activity promotion and integration along with nutrition education
- Food Demonstrations and Taste Tests in community and school settings Provide technical assistance and trainings to partners with nutrition and physical activity implementation
- Provide guidance and technical assistance to committees in schools and school districts
- Collaborate with members of the Wellness Coalition of San Benito County, Safe Kids Coalition of San Benito County, and the Oral Health Advisory Committee
- Partner alongside schools and community-based organizations to create nutrition and physical activity supporting Policy, Systems and Environmental (PSE) changes in San Benito County.