San Benito County

Health & Human Services Agency

Hollister, California

California Children’s Services (CCS)

What Is California Children’s Services (CCS)?

CCS is a state program that helps children with certain diseases, physical limitations, or chronic health problems.

Can Our Child Get CCS?

If you or anyone else thinks that your child has a medical problem that is CCS eligible, the CCS program may pay for a medical exam to find out if your child’s medical condition is covered.  If determined eligible, CCS pays for or provides services like:

  • Doctor visits
  • Hospital stays
  • Surgery
  • Physical and occupational therapy
  • Lab tests and X-rays
  • Orthopedic appliances and medical equipment

What Else Can CCS Do For Our Child?

CCS can manage your child’s medical care.  This means CCS can get the special doctors and care your child needs.  Sometimes, CCS refers you to other agencies like Public Health Nursing and Regional Centers, so you can get the services your child needs.

What Are The Requirements?

To get CCS, your child must:

  • Be under 21 years old
  • Have or may have a medical problem that CCS covers
  • Be a resident of California
  • Have a family income under $40, 000 (your adjusted gross income on the state tax form)

What If I Need More Information About CCS?

  • You can still get CCS if:

    • You have Medi-Cal (full scope, no cost)
    • You have Healthy Families insurance
    • Your out-of-pocket medical expenses for your child’s care is more than 20% of your family income
    • You only want Medical Therapy Program (MTP) services
    • You need to see a doctor to determine whether your child is eligible for CCS or
    • You adopted your child with a known medical problem that made them eligible for CCS

What Medical Problems Does CCS Cover?

CCS covers children with problems like:

  • Congenital heart disease
  • Cancers, tumors
  • Hemophilia, sickle cell anemia
  • Thyroid problems, diabetes
  • Serious chronic kidney problems
  • Liver or intestine diseases
  • Cleft lip/palate, spina bifida
  • Hearing loss, cataracts
  • Cerebral palsy, uncontrolled seizures
  • Rheumatoid arthritis, muscular distrophy
  • AIDS
  • Severe head, brain, or spinal cord injuries, severe burns
  • problems caused by premature birth
  • severely crooked teeth
  • broken bones

Can We Use Any Doctor Or Provider We Want?

No.  CCS must approve the provider, services, and equipment first.

How Do We Apply?

Complete a CCS application and mail or drop it off at the San Benito County Public Health Services.  You can request and application from the San Benito County Public Health Services or you may download a copy from

Can A Child Apply For CCS?

If your child is 18 or older or an emancipated minor, they can apply on their own.

Transition planning for children starting at age 14:

California Children’s Services (CCS) ends at age 21. It is VERY important that you (and your caregivers) know what your adult health plans are before you turn 21. Below are some resources and questions that may help you with transition planning:

Important Questions

  • When will my pediatric doctor stop seeing me? Or will this doctor continue to see me as an older adult?
  • Who will be my adult doctor(s)?
  • What medication, equipment, or supplies might I need?
  • What health insurance and/or income programs will I be able to get?
  • What skills and information do I need to keep myself in good health?
  • How will my health needs fit with my plans for:
    • a future job or career
    • college
    • living on my own
  • Are there activities or groups in my community, especially for people with my health condition?

These are just a few questions. It is important to speak with your doctors, family and other important people in your life (like Regional Center case worker, rehabilitation counselor, school counselor) to participate in transition planning with you.

Webpages and links

Language Translation Disclaimer
Best viewed withGoogle Chrome and Firefox. Our Agency’s website links to Google Translation as a convenience for those who speak/read languages other than English.  Please be aware that no automated or computerized translation tool produces a perfect translation.  The context of the wording may be lost when translated and some translations may lose the intended meaning. Therefore, the San Benito County Health and Human Services Agency cannot guarantee the accuracy of the translated content. 
If any  questions arise concerning the translated version of the website, please refer to the original English version.
Skip to content