Birth Certificate

Birth certificates are used for many official governmental purposes such as Social Security, passport applications and school enrollments.  They are sometimes used for non-official registrations such as little league.  You can purchase a certified copy of your baby’s birth certificate for the current year and the previous year  at our office, located at 351 Tres Pinos Road, Suite A-202, Hollister CA 95023.

Birth certificates are currently $25 and must be paid with cash only.   Please bring the exact amount for faster processing.  Our office hours are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.  Please arrive by no later than 4:30 PM to ensure time to fill out the application properly.

Older birth certificates may be purchased in person at the County Clerk-Recorder’s office at 440 Fifth Street, Second Floor Room 206, Hollister, CA 95023.

Obtaining Certified Copies of Birth Record

Processing fees are deposited upon receiving your request.
$25 for Birth Certificate.
Cash only please – Exact change only please.
Please allow 3-4 weeks from the date of deposit to receive your vital record.
Before submitting your application, please view our processing times to make sure they are acceptable for your needs.

Application for Certified Copy of Birth Record – Aplicacion Para Copia Certificada de Acta de Nacimiento

Did You Know The Guidelines For Ordering Birth And Death Certificates Has Changed?

Due to the increased occurrence of identity theft, new laws were passed to protect birth and death records from misuse. These laws went into effect July 1, 2003. The California Health and Safety Code, Sections 103526, will permit only authorized individuals to receive certified copies of birth and death records. Those who are not authorized by law to receive certified copies will receive certified copies marked “INFORMATION, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY.”

California Law Defines Individuals Who Can Obtain An Authorized Copy Of A Birth Or Death Certificate As:

  • The registrant, parent or legal guardian of the registrant.
  • A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the California Family Code
  • A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business.  (Companies representing a government agency must provide authorization from the government agency.)
  • An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant’s estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant’s estate.  (If you are requesting a Certified Copy under a power of attorney, please include a copy of the power of attorney with the application form.)
  • Any agent or employee of a funeral establishment who acts within the course and scope of his or her employment and who orders certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of an individual specified in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive, of subdivision (a) of Section 7100 of the Health and Safety Code.

San Benito County does not accept online orders.


Public Health Division

351 Tres Pinos Road
Suite A-202
Hollister, CA 95023

(831) 637-5367

Fax (831) 637-9073

TDD/TTY (831) 636-0385

Toll-free (800) 756-0385


Mon-Fri  8AM – 5PM

Deputy Director

Lynn Mello
Director of Nursing
Public Health Administrator

Health Officer

Martin Fenstersheib, MD, MPH
Interim Health Officer

Language Translation Disclaimer
Our Agency’s website links to Google Translation as a convenience for those who speak/read languages other than English.  Please be aware that no automated or computerized translation tool produces a perfect translation.  The context of the wording may be lost when translated and some translations may lose the intended meaning. Therefore, the San Benito County Health and Human Services Agency cannot guarantee the accuracy of the translated content. 
If any questions arise concerning the translated version of the website, please refer to the original English version.