SAN BENITO COUNTY PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICES
|San Benito County Press Releases
||Alerts, Advisories, & Updates for Clinicians
Rethink Your Drink @ Farmers Market — Piensa bien lo que tomas – Entre Las Calles
Rethink Your Drink @ Hollister Super — Piensa bien lo que tomas – Hollister Super
|Child Health & Disability Prevention
||Children’s Medical Services
What is Public Health?
Public Health promotes and protects the health of people and the communities where they live, learn, work and play. Over the last century, Public Health has dramatically improved our quality of life by:
- Reducing childhood disabilities and death through vaccinations
- Establishing policies that reduce motor-vehicle accidents
- Advocating and promoting workplace safety
- Controlling infectious diseases through investigation and treatment
- Informing and educating about health and wellness
- Assuring safe and healthy food quality
- Improving the health of mothers and babies
- Increasing access to family planning services
- Fluoridation of drinking water
- Reducing tobacco use
Healthy people in healthy communities.
The San Benito County Public Health Services Department works in partnership with the community to ensure optimal health and well-being of all people by preventing disease, injury and disability, promoting physical and mental health and protecting from health hazards. We accomplish this through identifying community health needs, assuring the availability of quality health services and providing effective leadership in developing public health policies. We are committed to working in partnership with our communities to eliminate health disparities.
A Healthy San Benito Initiative
A report that leads to being prepared to apply for national accreditation of our public health system when demonstration will have to be made that all county residents have access to quality public health services that meet national standards and can effectively prevent disease and injury, promote health and well-being, and protect from health hazards. HSBI-Report
Core Public Health Functions
- Assessment: The regular collection, analysis and sharing of information about health conditions, risks and resources in a community
- Policy Development: The development of local and state health policies using information gathered from assessment activities. Policy development incorporates information sharing, citizen participation, and involvement in policy and decision making.
- Assurance: Focuses on maintaining the capacity of public health to respond to critical situations such as disease outbreaks and environmental hazards, as well as the delivery of health care to persons who otherwise would not have any.
10 Essential Public Health Services
- Monitor health status to identify community health problems
- Diagnose & investigate health problems and hazards
- Inform, educate and empower residents about health issues
- Mobilize community partnerships to identify and solve health problems
- Develop policies and plans that support individual and community health efforts
- Enforce laws and regulations that protect health and ensure safety
- Link people to needed professional health services and assure the provision of health care when otherwise unavailable
- Assure a confident public health and personal health care workforce
- Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of personal and population-based health services
- Research for new insights and innovative solutions to health problems
The official governmental health agency for San Benito County
- Was established in the 1940s at the same location it now occupies
- Was combined with Social Services in 1992 to become the San Benito County Health and Human Services Agency
- Implements Local, state and Federal goals and mandates for health improvements
- Provides services and enforces regulations set forth in the California Helath and Safety Code
- Fulfills the Core Public Health Functions through the performance of the Essential Public Health Services.
What is Public Health all about?
- Preventing illness and injury
- Promoting Good Health Practices
- Keeping the environment clean, healthy
- Reducing disparity in health access and outcomes
- Serves the entire community